Pages

Monday, March 28, 2005

Miami, no, the one in Ohio

Actually, the thing that most impressed me was just how many students there were in the library at 9:30 on a Monday night. That place was packed! I had to go up to the third floor to find a spare study carrel, bizarrely located in a huge room with scattered carrels while the place is under rennovation. I'm glad I went and the reading wasn't as horrific as I had expected. I was incredibly relieved to find two small booklets with my name on them at the Law and Government desk in the basement, just the way that the librarian had told me they would be. Now, that's customer service!

So, I've now read the 1991 hearings on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the 1990 hearings on the Convention to End all forms of Discrimination Against Women. Those are abbreviated ICCPR & CEDAW, respectively, so don't make me go over the long names again! What trends, you ask? I did my best to capsulate, since that is the entire purpose of the thesis, but aren't my notes to myself more amusing?

My favorites:
“Mr. Rotunda: I do not object to birth certificates. I object to the vagueness. (that one's straight from the testimony)”
"Dude, Jessie Helms has the Bricker Amendment stuck up his ass. Bricker Amendment, it’s what’s for dinner. (that's me)"

But, I continue to formulate my own (at least I hope they're my own) ideas about the long-term impact of the Bricker amendment on US foreign policy. And somehow I'll manage to write about the president in there somewhere.

0 comments: