Pages

Monday, February 06, 2006

The New Approach

Some of you may remember that I'd rescheduled my LSATs from December to February. And, then, I wasn't going to take them after all (since I already had a score that got me into my first choice and didn't want to bother with the studying), but my friend convinced me that I really, really should. I could treat them as fun practice and cancel afterwards. So, I looked over my TestMaster's weekend class book the night before, slept in, went shopping at the market and arrived at 1:50 for my 2pm test (btw, overseas testing centers starting in the afternoon=AWESOME!). We were the slacker room; apparently another whole room of people had started half an hour beforehand. Heh. So, absolutely no pressure, very little prep and I didn't feel rushed or awful about it. It was sort of a nice way to take the test. If I got bogged down on a logic game, then I could just say to myself: "Joyce, don't worry! You're going to cancel." The weird thing was that I made it through all the questions. So, I think I'm going to let it stand. The stress bunnies on the pre-law discussion boards are freaking me out, maybe a little, but I felt pretty decent about it when I left and I doubt that I'd a) do a whole lot better without some major discipline and studying or b) do a whole lot worse than my last score. And even so, do you think American would still take me, with my masters? On a related note, I was researching for a model UN study guide and found something perfect for a friend's dissertation. And I had to point out that it was from the AU International Law Review. Go WCL people! BTW, did you know that Professor Orentlicher's brother is my state representative? Cool, no?

Well, that was a bit random of me! I'm still trying to sort out my life, in terms of work, more school, language training, etc. and whether or not I want to do my JD at all...would I be better off skipping directly to an LLM (in Europe), so that I only have to study public international law and not the stuff that I will never use? Or is an understanding of contracts, torts, etc. absolutely vital to my future life? And, would those questions be easier to answer if I knew whether I wanted to be a bureaucrat (or civil servant, for the British who get confused at my North American vocabulary) or an academic or some sort of do-good NGO person? The answer to that one, at least, I think is yes.

I suppose we all go through the post-college crisis and this one is mine. That thing last year didn't count.

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Whatever you do don't become a civil servant.

grey really isn't a becoming colour