Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

A few random Monday thoughts

Random thoughts, which I think I'm better off just writing down, because then (hopefully) I'll be able to sleep...after a few more pages of Chrissie Wellington's autobiography (and, as a side note, is she just not the happiest-looking person in the entire world?)

1) I did my FIRST ever track workout tonight with the Green Lake runners. It was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be, actually. Because, you know what: I've run two marathons and I am one tough cookie! Track workouts involve a lot more milage than I thought they would, though! I hit 5.5 miles. For some reason, this surprised me.

The Cat needed a cuddle before I went to
running club.
I joined with the "short-distance group" (by group they mean: "here's your workout - go do it") and we did 200m, 300m, 400m x 3 with an equivalent distance rest in between. I honestly had no idea what to expect, so I'm actually pretty pleased that my splits stayed fairly consistent and my last 400m was the fastest of the three! Go me! (I'd go look at the exact splits, but that would involve getting out of bed.) Anyway, it was pretty cool and I'm so glad that I feel like I've started to get to know people in SGLRG. There's another event tomorrow with Scott Jurek leading a short run from Fleet Feet and a book signing afterwards. It's going to be epically huge.

2) I put a Hammer Gel through the washing machine. Post race, kids, check your pockets. However, it appears to be fine.

3) I watched an episode of Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition when I got home from the track. Man, that stuff is emotional pr0n. But, it was also really interesting because I saw a lot of what I feel in myself in them. I mean, I was never their size, but I used to be bigger than I am now (fun fact - not that much bigger, but my body shape is completely different...and, yes, marathon training totally did equal weight gain). And when last night's transformee talked about being amazed at finding out what her body could do when she pushed it to do more, I knew exactly what she was talking about. I know what it feels like to be an "adult-onset athlete" (hat tip: John "the Penguin" Bingham) and to find out what I'm capable of doing. I know how empowering it is to be a fat girl and figure out that you can be an athlete. It's pretty awesome. I'm still slowish, but I'm pushing myself to be a better runner than I was last year; last month, last week. And that sense of accomplishment only gets stronger.

Also, they totally made me feel lazy, EVEN THOUGH I'D JUST RUN 5.5 MILES. So, I did some core work while I watched.

4) Hard = fun. Oddly enough, I'm starting to think that when I say something is "hard," I kind of mean "fun."

Friend: Joyce, how was that marathon?
Joyce: It was hard! *looks at medal & grins*

Friend: Joyce, how was that trail race?
Joyce: It was hard! *thinks about splashing through mud puddles and grins*

Friend: Joyce, how are your intervals going?
Joyce: HARD! *grins and concentrates on not puking*

Dear god, I'm turning into an endorphin junkie. Good thing there's track night EVERY Monday!

0 comments: